Sergios Zyman's - Five Mores
- More things
- Increase inventory, gifting
- To more people
- Viral offering, low incremental order costs
- For more money
- More often
- More efficiently
Your growth problem is probably a marketing problem
Growth is out of your control, design / development is in your control.
Marketing message - forming a map of the mindset of the target market.
How to build a marketing campaigns
- Who are you targeting?
- What is the size of the market?
- How reachable is that marketing?
- I have to be able to get to it.
- Is the market homogenous?
- People in that market should have the same set of needs.
People do things because they want to get
- Laid > Sexy, look at me I got this cool new toy.
- Paid > I got money
- Made > I got power, status etc.
- Afraid > I am terrified, help me, protect me.
The message has to fit that mindset, you can't combine these mindsets. Just one of these will be the focus of your campaign.
This is everything you need to know about marketing campaigns
Example breakdown of a conference.
Who are you targeting?
We have three audiences
- Sponsors (people who want to speak at the conferences)
- Attendees (people who want to listen/learn)
- Bloggers (who want to cover the conferences)
What do you want them to do?
- We want them to buy sponsorship.
- We want them to buy ticket.
- We want them to tweet about it.
- We want them to write a story.
Why should they do it?
- Sponsors should come here because
- Attendees should come here because
- It's good for their career
- They'll meet their friends / networking
- Bloggers should come because
You write these on a wall, and you can come up with 30 possible campaigns because you have been disciplined and structured in
Identifying the people
The actions you want them to take
The reasons why they should take those actions.
Now, you decide the Metric for success for each...
How will you know?
Did the blogger write a thing about us.
Did the sponsors buy
Did the attendee buy etc.
Run the campaigns and re-evaluate as needed.
Growth Hacking is about...
I have a behavior I want
For a target market
I have a thing that I think will cause them to do it
When people build 'message maps' when they take this approach to marketing campaigns...
When they think through about how to get users to do things...
That's when they are starting to hack growth.
Because they are understanding customer development, they are understanding the mindset of the customer. They are moving away from 'can I do it (build it)' and moving toward.
Will anyone care!
Problem is not a lack of information. We have way too much information.
The problem is lack of good questions, and a good leader will ask the right questions.